Deep-Pan Pizza Rolls Stuffed with Chicken, Peppers & Cheese
BY JULIA | JUL 6 2022 | 0 COMMENTS
Is there anything better than pizza? We have cheesy pizza rolls packed with chicken and peppers on the menu. It's even better when made over an open fire with only one pan. Simply follow our Mysterious Chef's recipe and you'll be good to go.
Prep: 60 mins
Cook: 25-35 mins
For the Pizza
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large green chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 store-bought or homemade pizza dough balls, room temperature
- All-purpose flour, for rolling the dough
- 1 cup favorite BBQ sauce
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
For the Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Make the Pizza
- Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- In a large, heavy-duty, flat-bottom skillet, heat 2 Tbs. oil on medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the chicken breast, searing on all sides until golden and cooked through. Remove from the skillet, slice thinly, and set aside. Do not clean the skillet, you will use it again.
- In a large bowl, toss the bell peppers, onion, chili pepper, and sliced chicken with a generous amount of salt and pepper.
- Roll one dough ball on a lightly floured surface into a large square about 1/8-inch thick.
- Spread half the BBQ sauce evenly over the dough leaving a 1-inch border on all sides. Top evenly with half the pepper-onion-chicken mixture, half the cheeses, and half the parsley.
- Roll the dough up with the stuffing inside. Cut the roll into crosswise slices, about 2-inches thick.
- Repeat with the remaining dough ball.
- Line the bottom of the reserved skillet with parchment paper. Brush the paper with the remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Position the pizza rolls in the skillet cut side up.
- Cover the skillet with foil and transfer to a 400°F oven. Bake until the dough and vegetables are mostly cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the pizza rolls are golden, 5 to 10 minutes more. Meanwhile, make the dipping sauce.
Make the Dipping Sauce
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the parsley.
- Bring the skillet to the table and serve, family-style, with the dipping sauce on the side.
- Bon appétit!