Stuffing is very important when it comes to cooking a Thanksgiving turkey and it doesn't have to get too complicated. Today, we want to share a very easy stuffing recipe with you. It is perfect for beginners but professionals will find it equally delicious. But before we get into it, you need to know that the trick to a good classic stuffing from scratch is making sure your bread is really dry before you add broth. If you buy your bread a few days early, tear it or cut it into cubes and dry them in a bowl for a few days on your counter.
Another very important thing to remember especially if you don’t have much time for cooking is that stuffing can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge in a casserole dish.
Now that you know some key factors in this serious business, let’s get into the recipe.
- 12 pounds whole turkey
- 1 (6 ounce) package dry bread stuffing mix (any kind of bread will do)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 4 slices toasted white bread, torn into small pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Rinse turkey, remove giblets and place in a shallow roasting pan.
- Prepare stuffing according to package directions. Mix in water.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and slowly cook and stir the celery and onion until tender.
- Mix celery, onion, and toasted bread pieces into the stuffing, and season with salt and pepper. Loosely scoop stuffing into the turkey body cavity and neck cavity. Rub the exterior of the turkey with vegetable oil.
- Loosely cover turkey with aluminum foil, and roast 3 1/2 to 4 hours in the preheated oven, until the thickest part of the thigh reaches 180 degrees F (85 degrees C) and the interior of the stuffing reaches 165 degrees F (70 degrees C). Remove foil during the last half hour of cooking to brown the bird.
In conclusion: This year has been weird, but some of our beloved traditions still remain the same. We can bring back some normalcy with a good old Thanksgiving cooking session. This easy turkey stuffing recipe will help out beginner cooks and will inspire the pros to prepare something simple.